#7 Leipzig Bus Tour and Cultural Presentations

Today started with two pieces of bad news: The rain we had expected since we landed but never came finally started to fall. And Luana and Emil were sick and therefore missed the city tour of Leipzig, which luckily was not a walking but a bus tour.

The tour was in English, and we learned a lot about the incredibly rich history of Leipzig and its many famous sons and daughters. What I had not known before, for example, was that Schiller wrote the original text for what later became known as Ode to Joy (made famous by Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony) in Leipzig, and the “joy” referred to the good times he had in the city with his friends.

After the tour, it was back to school, which meant it was time for the first round of presentations. The American students visited various English classes and talked about topics such as life as an American teenager, American sports, the US school system, etc. Hallie and Brendan dared to visit the elementary school children who just started to learn English. I came along for moral support, but the children were very cute and did not “destroy” Hallie, as she had feared.

Brendan talked about sports, but unfortunately the kids were a bit intimidated and did not ask him about his favorite German soccer club. I was looking forward to the boos. Oh well.

Without further ado, let’s hear what three of our protagonists have to say about today’s experiences.  

Jaseen writes:

Today we gave presentations to students at the German school, and I presented to a class in the seventh grade. My presentation was about sports in Atlanta. I explained about the popular sports and the well-known teams in Atlanta. I knew this topic would be cool because lots of students in the German school love sports. After we presented, we got split into groups and each group had questions written down for us to ask. Some questions were actual questions about life in the USA, but some questions were more personal questions like “Ronaldo or Messi?” or “What’s your favorite video game?” In the end, I thought it was interesting how German students thought how we lived our lives compared to how we actually live our lives.


Sofia writes:

Happy Friday! After the city tour of Leipzig, I gave my presentation to a very fun and outgoing fifth grade class. I was explaining a little bit of who I am and some information on my family, friends, and school! These kids were super excited to hear about the American school experience and were intrigued with all the sports and classes our school has to offer. I found it very special when one girl said she was very excited to hear I was coming to her class because it was also her birthday today and she saved me a piece of vanilla and cinnamon cake! Some of the kids enjoyed asking me what some differences were between the US and Germany. I was very impressed with their English skills and their motivation to talk to me in English even if they struggled a bit. It was a very sweet time and it really made me realize how cool it is to learn multiple languages and communicate with different people.


Hallie writes:

Today I visited a classroom full of (German) first graders who were very intrigued with America. It was so cute how they came up to me and ask me (unusual) questions. For example, while talking about Lake Lanier, I suddenly became an expert in fish and all other animals swimming in Lake Lanier. It was amazing for me to see how young the kids are when they start learning English. Also how excited they are when they see food. I am very excited to be able to visit the 1st graders again next week.





To round up today's blog entry, here are a couple of pictures from our tour of Leipzig. Tomorrow morning everyone will spend time with their host families; in the afternoon, we will get to see the Bundesliga match between Leipzig and Mainz. Look for us on ESPN+! 
















The last few pictures were taken at the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, which is not only a cool word for Scrabble but also the highest memorial in Europe standing 91 meters (299 ft) tall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 The Grand Finale

#2 Willkommen in Berlin!