#6 Field Trip to Dresden

 


Today we took the train to Dresden, state capital of Sachsen (Saxony). First we visited the Deutsche Hygiene-Museum, established in 1912. Going there was not a subtle commentary by our hosts on our personal hygiene, but according to its website, the museum got its name because “at the time, hygiene was understood in a broad sense as an expression of progress and modernity. Accordingly, hygiene was the catchword for a society that was organized based on scientific findings; one that would enable both individuals and whole sections of the populace to lead a healthy life.”





Afterwards, some of us hurried to the Frauenkirche, which was completely destroyed in the infamous fire bombing of Dresden in 1945 (it took 60 years to rebuild the church), to catch the daily Orgelandacht, a short time of reflection accompanied by beautiful organ music. The complete history of the reconstruction of the Frauenkirche can be read here.











The main event of the day was a city tour with two guides. One did an English-speaking tour; the other did it in German. Our kids could (more or less) choose in which group they wanted to be. Especially since the weather once again played along (it rained in the morning and then again on our way home), the 90-minute tour was informative and fun for all. But you shouldn't take my word for it. Let's hear from our students. Our two bloggers today are Mariana and Branden.

Mariana writes:

The Hygiene Museum was definitely the highlight of my day in Dresden. I thought it was just absolutely fascinating to see all the different displays in their raw forms, especially since it doesn't compare to science museums I've been at in the United States. I could've spent hours in the museum, which is why Lena and I came to the meeting with the group for the city tour😅. The tour itself was absolutely amazing! Lena was telling me that the residents are used to seeing the architecture in the city, but my reaction to the art engraved on every building was funny. It really did leave me in awe to see these things in person because I've only had pictures for 15 years. The stories that can be told with each art detail is super cool to me. I also think I've come to really, really appreciate the FußgĂ€ngerzonen (pedestrian zones) Germany has. I didn't have to worry about cars, which I know is a small detail, but it enhanced my experience that much more. Additionally, while walking, I noticed that there were cigarette ads on the S-Bahns while in the US that type of advertisement is banned. Overall, I had an absolutely amazing time in Dresden! 11/10!





Branden writes:

The trip to Dresden was really nice because we got to witness such a historical and old city. After arriving in the city, we headed straight towards the Hygiene Museum. It was fascinating because I had never been to a museum like that before. I learned a lot about the human body, but I really enjoyed doing all the activities the museum had to offer, such as numerous puzzles and memory tests as a way to challenge yourself. My favorite one was trying to form a wooden cube using oddly shaped pieces which took me around 10-15 minutes, mainly because I was too stubborn to give up. Another activity I liked was a machine that tested how strong each of your legs are and how many kilograms they could hold. Sitting in a chair you had to hold onto handlebars and use one of your legs to push against a bar where you could see on a screen how much you were pushing. A funny thing I saw was during my exploration of how diet affects the body, I stumbled upon a tiny but plump Ronald McDonald.

After spending time in the museum, we went to the Theaterplatz where we were meant to meet with the other groups. That turned into a slight issue as the group I was in may have miscalculated the journey to meet up with the other groups, so we arrived too early for the meeting but too late to get food. However, we found a Döner place for later. Döner is one of the most famous Imbiss (fast food) dishes found all across Germany. It consists of sliced meat, salad, and different types of sauces, all served in a sliced flatbread. The Döner was really delicious but absolutely massive with both Joey and Sanjay unable to finish their food unlike Erik, Ernst, and I. Although I reckon it counts towards our goal of reaching 10 Döners during our stay in Germany. (I’m currently on three.)




Danke, Mariana und Branden! Here are a few more pictures from today. Enjoy, and we'll talk to you tomorrow!































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#16 The Grand Finale

#2 Willkommen in Berlin!